A Chaos to Community Global Initiative
Communities Without Boundaries International Inc. is currently engaged in community building and community development work in Africa, The Balkans, The Middle East, Latin America, South Asia, and the United States. In carrying out community building and development work, CWBI partners with numerous local civil society actors, academic institutions, community and religious leaders, and youth from across sectors. In a number of instances, CWBI finds itself in the position of convener, bringing together stakeholders from across sectors that are individually engaged in community building and development activities in their respective communities. All too often however, we find that while many stakeholders are engaged in same or similar work in their communities, they are often unaware of the work that each other is carrying out. In many instances, CWBI led meetings and dialogue become the catalyst for cooperation and collaboration between individual stakeholders.
The Global Network Program
CWBI’s Global Communities Network is a coalition of communities in the United States and around the world where it carries out programs. They are the principal sponsors and/or collaborators in our community building and community development projects. Many of these organizations serve as hosts to CWBI’s interns and/or Youth without Boundaries members. In addition, these organizations compose an international network of civil society organizations, including nonprofits, foundations, and universities, that are promoting nonviolence in tangible ways. The network is a living organism exemplifying the vitality of people working together towards shared goals. “When people come together in a network, the autonomy of each individual is respected, a diversity of approaches meet, common concerns are the primary focus, and dynamic relationships develop” (Nan, Eliatamby et al, 2007).
CWBI works with these organizations to effect mutually reinforcing capacity among its membership and between CWBI and the network. Membership in the network provides access to organizational development, leadership development, and resource development training and technical assistance.
Vision: To foster cooperation, collaboration and sustainable interaction between government and civil society actors engaged in community building and community development work across the world.
- To work together across organizations, regions, and or fields of expertise to advance community building and community development
- Strengthen civil society and enhance capacities of local actors to work on conflicts;
- Share best practices related to community building and community development;
- Support each other’s community building and community development programs;
- Augment sustainability of community building and community development activities
- To shift the international community towards a culture of prevention as opposed to reaction
- To develop and strengthen the community building and development field;
- To facilitate collaboration for more effective results;
Four groups of local stakeholders participate in the Program:
- Government leaders
- Community and business leaders
- Academic institutions
Impact & Sustainability – CWBI’s community building approach fosters leadership development and establishes networks of leaders and organizations, ensuring the continuity and sustainability of identity transcendence beyond the immediate scope of the Program.